In 1970s, His Holiness the 33rd Menri Trizin founded the Bon Children Welfare Center for the young monks attending CST Dolanji then run by Indian Government and now run by Central Tibetan Administration. All the children receive education till high school at the school.
The boys at BCWC are mostly aged between 5 and 18 years. Outside the school hours they take part in ceremonies and rituals at the Menri Monastery temple and receive instructions in Bon religious traditions and history as a general preparation for the monks’ studies, should they later wish to embrace the religious life. When a boy joins the centre, he has his head shaved and wears monastic robes while attending ceremonies in the temple and ordinary clothes for school and daily life. The boys do not take the vows before the high school unless they wish to. After the high school, they choose to take the monastic vows and study the monastic course or to continue the modern education and lead the life of a lay man.
HOW YOU CAN HELP BCWC
YBMC Society is a charitable organization, almost entirely dependent upon the kindness and generosity of people from around the world. Donations are the only income for the BCWC and therefore we are greatly in need of your support and generosity.
You can help the Bon Children’s Welfare Center in the following ways:
- Sponsor a child for $400USD/year (Provides food, clothing, stationery and other basic needs)
- You can also make regular or one time donations to support the following projects:
- General fund
- Continuing education fund
- School uniform and clothing fund
- Health and medicine fund
- School supplies fund (for books, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc.)
- Tell a friend about the Bon Children’s Welfare Center