Menri Monastery is located in the Dholanji village, near Solan town in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India. It is about 15 km away from Solan town towards the Rajgarh Road. It is about 90 Km from Chandigarh city and about 300 km from Delhi, the capital of India.
Required Travel Documents for foreigners
- The Government of India requires that your passport be valid at least six months after the date of entry. In addition, your passport must have two (2) blank pages available.
- A visa is required to enter India. If you have an existing visa, check to be sure that it is still valid and will not expire within six (6) months of start of the Pilgrimage.
- If you do not already have an existing visa to enter India, you may not apply for one until within ninety (90) days prior to your planned date of arrival.You can apply for an Indian visa directly with the Government of India at their web site, Indian Visa Online (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in) Alternately, you may choose to pay a third party business to handle getting your Indian visa, and also a US passport.
- Protected Area Permit (PAP). more…
How to reach
Ther are several options. The nearest International airport is Delhi IGI Airport.
- Flight: From Delhi, take a flight to Chandigarh and travel by bus or hire a cab to Dholanji from Chandigarh (2-3 hours).
- Road: Travel by bus from Delhi to Solan and then hire a cab to Dholanji or hire a cab directly from Delhi to Dholanji (6-7 hours).
- Railway: You can also travel by railway from Delhi to Kalka and then hire a cab from Kalka to Dholanji (1.5-2 hours by road).
There is a guest house at Menri managed by Yungdrung Bon Monastic Centre Society. The purpose of the guesthouse is to provide a reasonable place to stay while pursuing study in Bon tradition. Foreign visitors are required to obtain the Protected Area Permit (PAP) to be able to stay in Menri Guest House.