Protected Area Permit (PAP) Information and Application Process

Visitors to Tibetan settlements in India are now required by the government of India to have a Protected Area Permit (PAP) in addition to a visa. This includes Menri Monastery in Dolanji, India. Documents required for applying for a PAP:

  • Filled PAP application form (download below)

PDF application form  or fill online or for more information.

  • Copy of applicant’s passport
  • Copy of applicant’s Indian visa
  • Two (2) passport-size photographs of applicant
  • A Recommendation or a Invitation Letter from the Secretary of Yungdrung Bon Monastic Center Society at Menri Monastery

The PAP application and supporting materials should be mailed to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in Delhi for processing at the following address:

The Under Secretary

Rehabilitation Section

Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India

NDCC – II Building, Jai Singh Road

New Delhi 110 001 India

Documents can be sent by post (approximately $20 for a registered letter with return receipt from the US), or FedEx (approximately $70 from the US).

PAPs can be issued for a term of up to one year. If you are unsure of your exact dates of travel to and from the Tibetan area, you can include a date of arrival and duration of stay that bracket your potential travel dates.

It takes about three months or more for the MHA to process the application and issue the PAP. Indian Embassies and Consulates abroad are unable to process the application.

Once issued, PAPs are mailed to the Tibetan settlement where you have applied to stay. Upon arrival you are required to register with the local authorities, including your exact dates of stay, as specified on your PAP. At Menri Monastery, this is done through the office of the Guest Master at the Menri Guest House, who submits the registration to the appropriate Foreigner Registration Office.